A student wrote to me, asking:
How do you respond to annoying relatives who look down on you when you tell them you’re studying in the Arts and Social Sciences? I’m so annoyed!
Here is some advice that will give you the satisfaction of winning, but there is a high risk that you’ll get permanently banned from their homes and lives. If you happily desire this outcome, you can try this:
(1) Ask what he/she studied back in school.
(2) Next, ask why he/she isn’t even successful in life, or haven’t been promoted, or still stagnating at work, or haven’t made it rich, or haven’t made a difference in this world.
(3) Once he/she is stunned by the question, recite any one of the following quotable quotes:
- “As a dog returns to his own vomit, so a fool repeats his folly” (Proverbs 26:11, if you wish to cast upon them a sacred BUUUURRRN!!!)
- “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” (Albert Einstein, supposedly)
(4) Enjoy watching them catch fire. LOL :D
Otherwise, if you so desire to maintain harmonious relations with them, I recommend following the advice I wrote here:
What do I say to people who ask me, “What do you want to do in the future?”