Hello! I started an initiative inviting my students to ask me anything about life, studies, friendship, and love – well, anything under the sun, really! After all, how often do you get to interact with a university lecturer, or for that matter, a philosopher? I’m happy to share with you my thoughts, insights, and even life experiences about a variety of matters.
Feel free to ask a question by clicking on one of the buttons below:
Below are some Q&A that I have curated for your reading pleasure. They were intended as advice for my students from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS). Even if you are not my student, I do hope that you’ll find the thoughts and advice useful and insightful. :)
Questions about Me
(1) Would you consider yourself quite an open person?
(2) Would you rather give or get bad advice and why?
(3) What is happiness?
(4) Have you done something you really regret? If so, how did you recover from it?
(5) What’s the best decision you’ve ever made? And what’s the riskiest?
(6) Why do you use the username, @autumnfloods? What’s the story behind it?
Questions about Friendship and Love
(1) How did you know your wife was the one?
(2) Was your wife your first girlfriend?
(3) Do you have any thoughts on love and relationships in general?
(4) Do you have any tips on what to do if I’m interested in someone?
(5) When do you think is a good time to get into relationships?
(6) Do you trust someone easily?
(7) What are some important lessons you’ve learnt from your friendships?
(8) Have you ever kissed your best friend?
(9) Do you think it’s possible to forgive someone completely?
(10) Do you think a couple that broke up once can come back together to make things work again?
(11) What are your thoughts on people who “steal” their friend’s boyfriend/girlfriend as their own?
(12) What’s your take on platonic love vs. romantic love?
(13) How do I reject someone politely?
(14) Do you think it’s good to reconnect with some old friends again?
Questions about Undergraduate Student Life and Studies
(1) Are there things undergraduates should know or appreciate more?
(2) What advice would you give to your students? (About Studies)
(3) How do you respond to annoying relatives who look down on you when you tell them you’re studying in the Arts and Social Sciences?
(4) What do I say to people who ask me, “What do you want to do in the future?”
(5) I don’t have any friends in my major. Is it good for me to stay this way or should I change and try to befriend people?
(6) What are some tips to do well in exams?
(7) What differentiates A+/A students from the rest, especially in your module?
(8) Why do we have to write so much in the Arts and Social Sciences?
(9) Is it a norm for students to be close to their profs?
(10) Is it normal to feel so lost when taking a new module?
(11) I thought I had plans for the future but life got disrupted by COVID-19. What should we do if we’re unsure about our future?
(12) How should I make use of my Unrestricted Electives (UE) requirement? Is it worthwhile to pursue a Minor, or should I instead use the time to explore modules from different faculties?
(13) How does one become an undergraduate Research Assistant?
(14) Are polytechnic graduates inferior to junior college graduates in University?
(15) I struggle in my studies. Does it mean that I’m not good enough?
Questions about Honours Thesis
(1) What’s the difference between choosing to do a thesis and choosing to do modules for Honours? Which one is better?
(2) I’m thinking of doing thesis but I’m not sure how to get started
Questions about Graduate Studies
(1) What advice do you have to give to someone who wants to pursue a Masters in the future?
(2) What are the costs associated with pursuing graduate school?
(3) Do you think it’s possible to be an academic if my best is still an A-?
Questions about Adulting (Life After Graduation)
(1) What is the most important life advice that you would like to give your students?
(2) Is adulting as unforgiving and scary as people make it out to be?
(3) Is it true that I will be at a disadvantage if I lack experience from internships?
(4) What advice do you have for a fresh graduate looking for a job?
(5) Would you advise going to graduate school first before applying to teach?
(6) Any advice on joining the teaching profession?
(7) What if some of us can only do humanities well and enjoy doing humanities well?
(8) Does a second major bolster my standing for employment?
(9) Do you think it’s too ambitious for one to want to make a difference to Singapore’s cultural scene?
(10) How do I know if I have a good job?
(11) How do I begin as a freelance writer?
Questions about Personal Challenges
(1) I’ve been working on something for a while and it doesn’t feel like I’m making any significant headway. At what point do you decide it’s no longer worth pursuing?
(2) Do you have any advice for dealing with loneliness while chasing one’s dreams?
(3) How do you stay motivated chasing your dreams (while also dealing with loneliness)?
Questions about Philosophy
(1) What can students learn from Philosophy?
(2) What is critical thinking? Do you have any advice on how to think critically?