Hello! I started an initiative inviting students to ask me anything about life, studies, friendship, and love – well, anything under the sun, really! After all, how often do you get to interact with a university lecturer, or for that matter, a philosopher? I’m happy to share with you my thoughts, insights, and even life experiences about a variety of matters.
Feel free to ask a question by clicking on one of the buttons below:
Below are some Q&A (mostly advice about life, love, adulting, and studies) that I have curated for your reading pleasure. I wrote them as advice for my students in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS). Even if you are not my student, I do hope that you’ll find the thoughts and advice useful and insightful. :)
Feel free to share this page with your friends. This page is updated regularly, so do check back from time to time for new Q&A! :)
Questions about Me
(1) Would you consider yourself quite an open person?
(2) Would you rather give or get bad advice and why?
(3) What is happiness?
(4) What’s your view on the meaning of life?
(5) Have you done something you really regret? If so, how did you recover from it?
(6) What’s the best decision you’ve ever made? And what’s the riskiest?
(7) Do you think more with your heart or with your mind?
(8) Why do you use the username, @autumnfloods? What’s the story behind it?
(9) Do overly desperate students ever annoy you so much that your mood to teach or guide them in the right direction is ruined?
Questions about Friendship and Love
(1) How did you know your wife was the one?
(2) Was your wife your first girlfriend?
(3) Do you have any thoughts on love and relationships in general?
(4) When do you think is a good time to get into relationships?
(5) Is it normal for me to feel that I never feel prepared for a relationship?
(6) Do you have any tips on what to do if I’m interested in someone?
(7) How do I confess my love to someone?
(8) Do you trust someone easily?
(9) What are some important lessons you’ve learnt from your friendships?
(10) Any advice on how to make friends of the opposite gender?
(11) Have you ever kissed your best friend?
(12) Do you think it’s possible to forgive someone completely?
(13) Is it better to be dependent or independent in a relationship?
(14) Do you think a couple that broke up once can come back together to make things work again?
(15) What are your thoughts on couples that have a big “gap” between them? E.g. one is more highly educated than the other, or one is earning more than the other.
(16) What are your thoughts on people who “steal” their friend’s boyfriend/girlfriend as their own?
(17) What’s your take on platonic love vs. romantic love?
(18) How do I reject someone politely?
(19) Do you think it’s good to reconnect with some old friends again?
(20) Do you think it’s wrong to cut off people, even if they were your closest friends, just to protect your mental health?
(21) My girlfriend got pregnant, and we’re both still studying in university. What do you suggest we do?
(22) Why do people who are 17 or 18 years old get into relationships if the chances they can last is unlikely?
(23) What do you think of girls who confess? Since it is more normal for guys to be the ones doing it.
(24) Do looks matter in a relationship?
(25) Is it true that a relationship can only work if two people have opposite personalities?
(26) How far do you think a person can try to accommodate or tweak their habits for their partner before it becomes inorganic or that they are forced to become someone they don’t wanna be?
(27) What do you think of girls being attracted to “bad boys”?
(28) What do you think of couples who take the same major, and they enrol in the same modules and tutorials together?
(29) I’m afraid that I won’t be able to find a partner after graduation because I have no experience in dating!
Questions about Undergraduate Student Life and Studies
(1) Are there things undergraduates should know or appreciate more?
(2) What advice would you give to your students? (About Studies)
(3) How do you respond to annoying relatives who look down on you when you tell them you’re studying in the Arts and Social Sciences?
(4) What do I say to people who ask me, “What do you want to do in the future?”
(5) I don’t have any friends in my major. Is it good for me to stay this way or should I change and try to befriend people?
(6) What are some tips to do well in exams?
(7) What differentiates A+/A students from the rest, especially in your module?
(8) Is it true that it’s easier to score an A for some modules?
(9) How do I get better grades in school?
(10) Why do we have to write so much in the Arts and Social Sciences?
(11) Is it a norm for students to be close to their profs?
(12) Is it normal to feel so lost when taking a new module?
(13) I thought I had plans for the future but life got disrupted by COVID-19. What should we do if we’re unsure about our future?
(14) How should I make use of my Unrestricted Electives (UE) requirement? Is it worthwhile to pursue a Minor, or should I instead use the time to explore modules from different faculties?
(15) How does one become an undergraduate Research Assistant?
(16) Are polytechnic graduates inferior to junior college graduates in University?
(17) I struggle in my studies. Does it mean that I’m not good enough?
(18) When is a good time to start doing level 3000 modules in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS)?
(19) Will I be losing out if I don’t go on the Student Exchange Programme (SEP)?
(20) How much would peer review affect one’s own final grade?
(21) How do you deal with an uptight group project mate who’s difficult to work with?
(22) Is it a bad thing to be so focused on schoolwork or other endeavours like hobbies/work in general that I sacrifice having a vibrant social life or a romantic relationship during University? What if I continue being this way when I grow older?
Questions about Honours Thesis
(1) How essential is it to graduate with an Honours degree?
(2) Do you think doing Honours is necessary?
(3) What’s the difference between choosing to do a thesis and choosing to do modules for Honours? Which one is better?
(4) I’m thinking of doing thesis but I’m not sure how to get started
Questions about Graduate Studies
(1) What advice do you have to give to someone who wants to pursue a Masters in the future?
(2) What are the costs associated with pursuing graduate school?
(3) Do you think it’s possible to be an academic if my best is still an A-?
Questions about Adulting (Internship & Life After Graduation)
(1) What is the most important life advice that you would like to give your students?
(2) Is adulting as unforgiving and scary as people make it out to be?
(3) Is it true that I will be at a disadvantage if I lack experience from internships?
(4) I’m struggling to find an internship. What should I do?
(5) What are your thoughts on students trying to find internships with their friends?
(5) What advice do you have for a fresh graduate looking for a job?
(6) Would you advise going to graduate school first before applying to teach?
(7) Any advice on joining the teaching profession?
(8) What if some of us can only do humanities well and enjoy doing humanities well?
(9) Does a second major bolster my standing for employment?
(10) Do you think it’s too ambitious for one to want to make a difference to Singapore’s cultural scene?
(11) How do I know if I have a good job?
(12) How do I begin as a freelance writer?
(13) Would you rather have an easy job working for someone else or work for yourself but work incredibly hard? And why?
Questions about Personal Struggles and Challenges
(1) I’ve been working on something for a while and it doesn’t feel like I’m making any significant headway. At what point do you decide it’s no longer worth pursuing?
(2) Do you have any advice for dealing with loneliness while chasing one’s dreams?
(3) How do you stay motivated chasing your dreams (while also dealing with loneliness)?
(4) How do you deal with people who are passive aggressive (paggro)?
(5) How would you deal with passive aggressive people who refuse to apologise even when they are in the wrong?
(6) How do you overcome fear of uncertainties, and the shame and guilt of past failures?
(7) How can I communicate better with my parents or at least let them understand my point of view when they don’t want to listen to me?
(8) How do you survive the tension at home after you’ve had a fight with your parents?
(9) Do you have any advice for people with low self-esteem and who always think that they are not good enough?
(10) How do you welcome changes in life?
(11) Do you believe that a person’s attitude with his/her family is reflective of the type of person they are and the type of upbringing they will give their future kids?
(12) What are your thoughts on suicide and its implications?
(13) How do I cope with the passing of a loved one?
(14) How do I deal with imposter syndrome?
(15) I want to step out of this negativity and find my own happiness. Do you have any ideas on how I can do so?
(16) How do I deal with loneliness?
(17) Can I ask if there’s ever a time you felt very annoyed but feel like there’s no way to resolve it? How do you calm yourself down? And what do you do after that?
Questions about Philosophy
(1) What can students learn from Philosophy?
(2) What is critical thinking? Do you have any advice on how to think critically?